We spend so much of our lives becoming who we think we are supposed to be that we rarely stop to ask a more important question: Who would I be if I stopped performing for everyone else?
Think about it. Some of your goals may have been inherited. Some of your fears may have been taught. Some of your definitions of success may belong to your parents, your partner, your friends, your culture, or simply the version of you that needed approval years ago.
Self-awareness requires an identity audit.
Ask yourself: What do I genuinely want? What do I actually believe? What parts of my personality feel authentic, and what parts are adaptations I developed to be accepted, safe, impressive, or needed?
There is nothing wrong with evolving beyond expectations. In fact, sometimes the most authentic version of you is buried underneath everything you were told you should be.
Your life becomes more intentional when you stop confusing being accepted with being aligned.
You don't have to disappoint everyone to become yourself. You simply have to become honest enough to recognize when someone else's expectations are driving your life.
THE SHEENA SHIFT: Before you ask, “Will they approve?” ask, “Does this feel like me?”
No comments:
Post a Comment